Thursday, August 8, 2013

Class up your instant ramen

I'm too tired to cook, Miss Lolly has spent all morning being a tiny tornado of destruction and I cannot even look at another peanut butter sandwich so what's in the pantry that will require barely a thought, less effort and no dishes?

Ramen? Yeah, soup ramen!

I know it's full of sodium and preservatives but gimme a break, I'm tired and hungry but there are a few things I like to do to my instant ramen to "elevate" it.

1. Shiitake mushrooms. I always have dried shiitake mushrooms in the pantry. They last forever and I get them cheap from tiny Asian grocery stores.

2. Diced frozen vegetables. Ah, frozen veg. I throw a handful or two into anything to give it a vege boost and ramen is no exception.

3. Sesame oil. Because instant ramen needs more fat. Ha, just kidding, but it is so delicious and really adds to the ramen.


I took this picture then remembered the frozen veg, but I had already packed away the mushrooms and thrown out the wrapper so NO DO-OVERS!

I just throw the ramen packs, mushrooms and frozen veg into a large bowl, pour in my boiling water then put a plate or lid over the top and leave it for 3 minutes. When everything is rehydrated just add a few drops of sesame oil and enjoy your lunch while you pretend your child will actually have a nap instead of artfully arrange all their toys in front of the bedroom door.


Optional extras: Leftover protein (I like to shred leftover chicken), boiled eggs, cilantro, grated carrot, corn kernels, fresh chilli. Your options are limited to your pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment